Sunday, October 23, 2011

OSG High: Kentucky Has New All-Time Coaching Wins Leader

((HT: WYMT-TV))

The Pike Central ((KY)) Hawks are the 52-20 answer to the trivia question for the Belfry High ((KY)) Pirates. Belfry would win their district championship and Pond Creek, Kentucky's own Phillip Haywood recorded his 346th win as a head high school football coach to become the all-time winningest coach in the state of Kentucky

It's the second story in the Sports Overtime segment below...


Current Pikeville University head football coach Dudley Hilton is now second at 345...

From Pamela Scott Johnson's piece in the Williamson ((KY)) Daily News...

Dudley Hilton, UPike's football coach, held the record at 345 along with retired coach Bob Schneider. Hilton said he admires Haywood.

"There is no better person that I would rather hand it down to," said Hilton. "I've always admired him. He is a first class person. Sure, I would like to keep it but it is time for somebody else and Phillip Haywood definitely deserves it."

Hilton said this was not an easy achievement.

"The good Lord has got to bless you with health to be able to coach every day," Hilton said. "I don't think I ever missed a practice and I know I never missed a game in 36 years. You've got to have good players and you have to have a good school system that will let you work. It all has to work together. I would challenge anybody to see if they can last that long."

The HQ sends an HT to Haywood and Belfry...

No comments:

Post a Comment