Friday, March 30, 2012

Illinois Finds Their Man, Hires John Groce As New Hoops Coach

Every year a surprising run by a mid-major in the NCAA Tournament turns that program's head coach into a hot commodity.

This year Ohio made a run to the regional semifinals and took North Carolina into overtime. That helped Bobcat head coach John Groce who caught the attention of the University of Illinois who happened to have an opening.

Thursday Groce was introduced as the new head coach of the Illini and the Danville, Indiana native who was born and bred on Big 10 basketball was thrilled.

"For me, when I mean once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, that's exactly what I meant." Groce said and a press conference Thursday. "I looked at it and said I'm a little different than everybody else. This is the first and only job that I interviewed for since I've been at Ohio."

Here's a one-on-one interview with the new Fighting Illini leader. (WAND-TV Springfield, IL)



One very important aspect of being the head coach at Illinois is recruiting the city of Chicago successfully. It was the secret to Lou Henson's great success during the "Flying Illini" days of the 1980's. Chicago talent was the cornerstone of Henson's 1989 Final Four team.

Groce won't be a stranger in Chicago.

"I understand how important that area is." Groce said. "We have previously established relationships that are going to be important."

No comments:

Post a Comment