Saturday, March 24, 2012

MLS Clark Apologizes For Gay Slur (UPDATED)

((HT: MLS/youtube))

Houston Dynamo midfielder Colin Clark has apologized for using a gay slur toward a ball boy during the team's loss in Seattle last night.

Here's the incident that Clark has apologized for in the game's 7th minute...


As you see, the whole thing really was based around Clark's response since he wasn't issued a new ball on a throw-in...

Yes, the HQ is aware how mature Clark was in this case...

He then issued a three-chapter Twitter apology...

"I'd like to offer a sincere apology to everyone who watched the game, especially the ball boy for whom I used awful language towards."

"I didn't mean to disrespect anyone and am sorry for letting my emotions get the best of me. It's not who I am and it won't happen again."

"@gay4soccer I'm very sorry for my actions tonight and I would love for you to consider me a #soccerally moving forward."

The folks at @gay4soccer have offered an outlet for discussion with Clark. It will be interesting to see if:

A) He takes it and,
B) How the MLS and the Dynamo respond with discipline...

TUESDAY UPDATE: Clark got three games suspension "for using offensive language..."

From the MLS their own selves...

(MLS) Commissioner Don Garber also mandated that Clark attend diversity and sensitivity training. This is in addition to the training that all MLS clubs attend at the beginning of each season.

“Major League Soccer will not tolerate this type of behavior from its players or staff at any time, under any circumstances,” Garber said in a statement. “Colin Clark has expressed sincere remorse for his actions and I believe that he will learn from this incident.”

No comments:

Post a Comment