Wednesday, April 18, 2012

BREAKING NEWS: Pat Summitt Steps Down As Lady Vols Head Coach

Pat Summitt has stepped down as head coach of the Tennessee Lady Vols ending an historic 38 year career.

The milestones are many: Most wins by a college basketball coach, men or women, with 1,098. Eight NCAA Championships, 16 SEC Tournament and regular season titles just to name a few.

"I've loved being the head coach at Tennessee for 38 years, but I recognize that the time has come to move into the future and to step into a new role," Pat Summitt said in a release from the University of Tennessee.

Summitt's new role is head coach emeritus where she will continue to serve the women's basketball program and its coaching staff and as a liaison to the Director of Athletics according to a release from the University of Tennessee.

"If anyone asks, you can find me observing practice or in my office." Summitt said. "I love our players and my fellow coaches, and that's not going to change."

Associate head coach Holly Warlick has been named head coach of the Lady Vols. Needless to say Warlick has huge shoes to fill.

"I'm very thankful for all Pat Summitt has done to prepare me for this opportunity," Warlick said.

Warlick as been on Summitt's staff for 27 years and played for Summitt in the late 1970's.

Those of us who have been around Pat Summitt knows she can peel paint off the wall in the locker room but very engaging with a good heart.

Who can forget Summitt singing "Rocky Top" at a Tennessee men's basketball game a few short years ago for then head coach Bruce Pearl.



Great stuff.

1630 UPDATE: Here's the statement released from the school and Summitt...
((HT: WATE-TV))
"I've loved being the head coach at Tennessee for 38 years, but I recognize that the time has come to move into the future and to step into a new role.

I support Holly Warlick being named the next head coach, and I want to help ensure the stability of the program going forward. I would like to emphasize that I fully intend to continue working as head coach emeritus, mentoring and teaching life skills to our players, and I will continue my active role as a spokesperson in the fight against Alzheimer's through the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund.

"If anyone asks, you can find me observing practice or in my office. Coaching is the great passion of my life, and the job to me has always been an opportunity to work with our student-athletes and help them discover what they want. I will continue to make them my passion. I love our players and my fellow coaches, and that's not going to change."


Here's early coverage from WBIR-TV

No comments:

Post a Comment