Thursday, August 30, 2012

Allen Pinkett Suspended For Navy Game For Comments (UPDATED: Pinkett Suspended For 3)

And that means Jeff Jeffers will move from downstairs to upstairs...

"Allen Pinkett made unacceptable comments this week about student athletes," Notre Dame broadcaster IMG said in a statement. "Notre Dame is taking on Navy at the Emerald Isle Classic in Dublin is an historic game showcasing the very best of American college sports. The event deserves to be free of distraction."

The Notre Dame color analyst went on 670AM in Chicago and was asked about the recent string of player suspensions leading up to the Navy game. He thought out loud that having a few "bad apples" wasn't necessarily a bad idea...

Here's the interview with Pinkett from the "McNeil and Spiegel Show"

Pinkett then quickly apologized in a prepared manner...

"In reviewing my remarks from a radio interview Wednesday, it's clear that I chose my words poorly and that an apology is in order for these inappropriate comments," Pinkett said in the statement. " My words do not reflect the strong pride and passion I have for the Notre Dame football program.

"I am deeply sorry and did not intend to take away the focus from the upcoming season opener. I especially would like to offer my sincere apology to the current members of Notre Dame’s football team, including Coach Kelly, the entire Notre Dame community, the IMG College Audio Network and the Ohio State football program. As a proud Notre Dame graduate, I wish nothing but the best for our football team and the University.

"I understand that there may be consequences to my actions and accept whatever discipline is imposed."


He's lucky he wasn't fired outright...

More when we know more...

2115 UPDATE: According to Chet Coppock, his sources are telling him that Pinkett has now been fired...

TUESDAY UPDATE: Notre Dame IMG has suspended Pinkett for three games...

Below are segments of the release from IMG College Radio and the University

"Allen has done a great job for the Notre Dame IMG Radio network over the past four years, has a supportive fan base, and most importantly, has expressed deep heartfelt remorse for his choice of words, which were not in the spirit of college athletics," Notre Dame IMG Radio Network said in a statement. "After careful deliberation and thorough discussion, we believe the right decision is to allow a truly repentant Allen Pinkett an opportunity to return to the booth beginning with the fourth game of the college football season."

"I love this school as much as I love my kids and would never want to compromise the ethics and morals of my alma mater, Notre Dame," Pinkett said in a statement. "I would again like to offer my most sincere and heartfelt apology to all those affected by my inappropriate comments, particularly the University, the school's hard-working and courageous student athletes, all Fighting Irish fans and team supporters, our friends at The Ohio State University, and my colleagues at IMG Notre Dame Radio Network.

"This offering of forgiveness is an extremely humbling life lesson. I will work very hard to make the most of this second chance in representing the high standards and proud tradition of Notre Dame football."


Here are highlights from the first game Pinkett missed...
((HT: NotreDameAthletics))

No comments:

Post a Comment