Saturday, April 13, 2013

DEVELOPING: Tiger Penalized Two Strokes For Saturday...Updated

Well, there's the start for your Saturday in Augusta...

Here's what started the furor...
((HT: ESPN/Augusta National Golf Club))


After the round, Tiger admitted the following...
"I went back to where I played it from, but I went 2 yards further back and I took, tried to take 2 yards off the shot of what I felt I hit," Woods said.

Woods signed for a 1-under-par 71, which included the 6 on 15. With a two-stroke penalty now added, it's now an 8 on 15 and a 73 on Friday. He will be at 1 under par overall, and five shots out of the lead.

Now, he'll be just mad...the issue with his drop was whether or not he was dropping "as nearly as possible" to the spot where the shot was last played- violating Rule 26-1.

Reaction has been all over the board...

@danjenkinsgd In other news, everyone gets a mulligan off the first and 10th tees and one free throw from trouble on each nine

Jason Sobel ‏@JasonSobelGC
New TV rule is meant for situation such as when ball moves and player doesn't see it. Player ignorance toward rules does not apply here.

Sir Nick Faldo also disagrees. Tiger "breached the rules. Simple as that."


And... discuss...

**NoonUpdate from Tiger his ownself** (or whomever does his Twitter feed):

I didn’t know I had taken an incorrect drop prior to signing my scorecard. Subsequently, I met with the Masters Committee Saturday morning..

and was advised they had reviewed the incident prior to the completion of my round. Their initial determination...

was that there was no violation, but they had additional concerns based on my post-round interview. After discussing the situation...

...with them this morning, I was assessed a two-shot penalty. I understand and accept the penalty and respect the Committees’ decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment