Sunday, April 28, 2013

Jones Knocks Out Sonnen In UFC 159

((HT: UFC))

After, seemingly, a long time that the two fighters just ran their mouth Jon "Bones" Jones and Chael Sonnen finally got it on last night at the main event for UFC 159. And while it wasn't quite the Cheick Kongo knockout, Jones held on to the title with the following display in the eight-sided ring at Prudential Center...


After Jones strategy of closing Sonnen's boxing space and grappled him to the floor, it looked like Jones kept Sonnen pinned down and simply didn't give him the space he's used to operating...

Jones, who broke his foot in the win, is under indefinite medical suspension for a pretty gruesome injury- the big toe went sideways. Jones later tweeted from the hospital, “Yep still at the hospital bone definitely broke through the skin.”

Sonnen wasn't looking at the injury as his way out...

"You know what? When I get in there, I just want to know who's better," Sonnen said post-match. "I just want to feel these other guys. I want to see what the hype's about. If they would have called the match [in his favor because of Jones' broken toe], I wouldn't have had any illusions. I knew in those first five minutes who the better fighter was.

"I'm sure it would have gone to a rematch and we'd have had to do that again, because it would only have been right to Jon. But I got my questions answered tonight."


Jones' tied Tito Ortiz's light heavyweight record by making his fifth consecutive successful title defense. He said he'd like to face Alexander Gustafsson the next time out. But there is talk that Anderson Silva called Dana White to see if he could get his foot in the door...

So to speak...

No comments:

Post a Comment