Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Team Gleason Accepts Sports Talk Hosts Apologies (UPDATE: Cellini Pledges Paycheck to Team Gleason)

Proving yet again that he and his foundation are better men, Team Gleason released a statement this afternoon stating they've forgiven the DJ's from Atlanta radio station 790 The Zone who made some poor, poor jokes at his expense.

Here's the statement from Steve Gleason himself:

Regarding the DJ skit in Atlanta yesterday. I would like to thank the public for their support. 'Defend Team Gleason' now has been officially redefined. Additionally, the DJ's have provided genuine apology. Received and accepted. We have all made mistakes in this life. How we learn from our mistakes is the measure of who we are.

I think everyone can learn from this event. It's clear to me that, on a national and global scale, ALS is not understood, which is part of why its under funded and largely ignored. In the past 36 hours lots of people have been talking. Lets talk about this....There are zero treatments for ALS. If you take any action as a result of this event, I prefer it to end ALS. See what we are doing to change that at TeamGleason.org.

For more on Team Gleason, the link to his website is RIGHT HERE

If you'd like to donate to Team Gleason, the link is RIGHT HERE

Thus far, Brother Jon has handled this story and we haven't chimed in. I'm chiming in. I know and have worked with 2 of the 3 "DJ's" or Sports Talk Hosts involved.

And to hear they tried to do something like this was NOT a surprise. But like Gleason, rather than dwell on my distaste for them, I'm looking at the positive that comes from this.

Steve Gleason is a BIG man to accept their apology and that he did, just makes my respect for him and his battle only grow.

The good thing about what happened to the 3 "Hosts" is this probably should have happened years ago (them getting themselves fired), so let's call it Karma.

Like Gleason, I think a lot of good comes from what happened. It moved ALS forward in the discussion. It needs to be discussed/addressed or what ever else you want to call it.

This is a golden opportunity for people in Atlanta, New Orleans and other places to discover more of what the disease is and can do. Other than the inspiring stories of those battling it, it's a horrible affliction that needs attention.

Let's hope everyone takes advantage of the learning experience despite where it originated from.

Two side notes: Cellini has deleted his Twitter account, and according to Katherine Terrell at nola.com:

Cellini, who told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune that he had no illusions about securing future employment, made a pledge if that were to happen.

"When and if I do work in radio again, I'm going to donate my first month's salary to Team Gleason and the fight against ALS," he said in a phone call Tuesday morning. "I know that feelings are very raw, and I've very, very contrite.

"I realize what I did was a horrible, horrible thing."


Interesting to see if that happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment