Friday, August 16, 2013

Hansen: "I Made A Mistake I Regret"- Found Out As Big Anti-SacTown Donor

((HT: KING-TV))

When it came down to it and the Seattle Arena group was vying for the Sacramento Kings hot and heavy, suggested Seattle arena owner Chris Hansen did a bad, bad thing...




 Here's his statement in full: "When our binding agreement to purchase the Sacramento Kings became a competitive situation and we were faced with both the prospect of seeing our transaction fail and losing our $30 million deposit, I engaged Loeb & Loeb to canvas the various opposition groups to gain an understanding of their efforts and the prospects of their success. During this time I was approached through Loeb by the opposition about making a contribution to the opposition’s efforts as part of a broader group and agreed to make a donation. 

 In this regard I would just like to highlight that I have never directly engaged with or even had any conversations or contact with STOP, Taxpayers For Safer Neighborhoods, or any the various consultants engaged in the Sacramento Arena opposition. It was also not my intent to be the primary financial sponsor of the opposition’s efforts. I merely agreed to make a donation to the opposition in what had become a competitive and heated process. I have not agreed to provide any further political contributions and do not intend to make any further contributions. 

 I would also just point out that the contribution was made in my personal capacity and not on behalf of our ownership group or my partners. In fact, I have never discussed the contribution with them to date. While I'm sure everyone can appreciate how easy it is to get caught up the heat of battle, with the benefit of hindsight, this is clearly a decision I regret. I wish the city of Sacramento and Kings fans the best in their efforts and they have my commitment not to have any involvement in their arena efforts in the future."

Miletich and Brunner from the Seattle Times are investigating what this means... and it's not that good... He could face a fine of $100,000 from the state of California since the move wasn't divulged by the end of the last fiscal year.

 And the move doesn't sit well with the local unions that are opposed to the Hansen plan for his new arena... From the Seattle Times article: An attorney for the Seattle Longshore Worker’s Union, which opposes the Sodo location for a new area, called on Seattle and King County officials on Friday to terminate their relationship with Hansen. “This shows the true Chris Hansen. He’s attempting to sabotage a publicly funded arena in Sacramento while at the same time asking Seattle and King County to provide $200 million for an arena here,” said Peter Goldman, who represents the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 19. The union is suing to block an agreement between Hansen, the city and county to build a new sports venue in the stadium district south of downtown.

 The folks in Sacramento are less than pleased... ((HT: News10.net))

So, Chris Hansen may have gone from white knight in Seattle to black hat in two cities with one six-figure donation...
And that won't sit well with the commissioners of both leagues he's trying to court...

No comments:

Post a Comment