Tuesday, October 14, 2014

BREAKING: Mike Slive To Retire As SEC Commissioner

Mike Slive
Mike Slive's tenure as SEC commissioner will be coming to an end.

In a statement released by the Southeastern Conference Slive announced he will step down as commissioner on July 15th, 2015.

“I have been blessed in more ways than I can count and I will have as much passion for this job on my last day as I did on my first,” Slive said in a statement released by the SEC.

Health concerns are the reason why Slive has decided to retire.  He will be beginning treatment for a recurrence of prostate cancer.

“I consider my health situation a temporary detour in a remarkable road that has allowed me to meet amazing people, experience incredible events and celebrate historic victories." Slive said.  "I will relish my final year in this position and look forward to being the biggest fan of the SEC for many years to come.”

The recurrence of cancer was discovered
in August subsequent to a surgical procedure on his back.

Slive's prognosis is good.

Slive's 13 years as SEC commissioner has seen unprecedented growth and revenues.  With the billion dollar plus TV contract with ESPN and CBS and the launching of the SEC Network the crowning jewel of the Slive era will be the seven consecutive BCS National Championships in football.

No comments:

Post a Comment