Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Morning Wrap: Chiefs Berry Out With Possible Cancerous Mass in Chest

((ht: kcstar.com))

We wish Kansas City Chiefs Safety Eric Berry the best. And hope what he is dealing with is done and taken care of quickly.

Berry was put on the Chiefs non football illness list Monday evening after complaining to team trainer Rick Burkholder of pain in his chest area.

An MRI, along with a PET scan  found a mass on the right side of his chest which doctors believe may be a lymphoma (an immune system cancer).

Here's video from the Kansas City Star of Burkholder discussing what is happening:



Berry will head home to Fairburn in metro Atlanta area and be examined at Emory University Medical Center, one of the nations leading cancer research centers. Doctors are expected to do a biopsy once Berry is able to get back home.

Having covered Berry back in his days at Creekside High School and interviewing him while he played at the University of Tennessee, we can say that he truly is one of the classiest, well respected kids we ever covered. And we are quite sure that he will conquer this.

The soft-spoken Berry released a statement via the Chiefs website:

“I am truly thankful for all of the support from family, friends, coaches, teammates and the entire Chiefs kingdom. At first I was in shock with the diagnosis on Saturday and did not even want to miss a game, but I understand that right now I have to concentrate on a new opponent. I have great confidence in the doctors and the plan they are going to put in place for me to win this fight. I believe that I am in God’s hands and I have great peace in that. I know my coaches and teammates will hold things down here the rest of the season and until I am back running out of the tunnel at Arrowhead. I am so thankful and appreciative of being a part of this franchise and playing in front of the best fans in the NFL. I will be back!”

We also want to note--if you go to the Chiefs website to read the statement...the 1st comment on the page is from the San Diego Chargers and team owner Dean Spanos. A very well said offer of prayers and respect.

Fox4 Kansas City gives us the TV story:

No comments:

Post a Comment